Saturday, March 20, 2010

Farm #2: Jagur Organic

I’ve been at a farm near a fishing village called Cleggan in Connemara on the West Coast of Ireland fr the last 2 ½ weeks now. This was the first farm I heard back from when I was planning this trip. It’s been a mixed bag though I've mostly enjoyed it, and is certainly a change from the place in Limerick.There are no other wwoofers and their children have all left hme so it’s just them and me. They only have dial up which is generally off limits to me anyway so it’s a bit isolated; and why this is the first time I’ve been able to update in the past few weeks.

Besides that they are very religious Jehovah’s Witnesses, which I have to say I was not expecting. I generally think of WWOOF and the local/organic food movement in general as being somewhat hippy-ish, but there is also a very religious/conservative component as well which is what I seem to have landed myself in. It's a little awkward.

It’s a gorgeous area though. Connemara is beautiful and their house is right on an inlet of the sea. The weather has been great since I’ve gotten here so I’ve really enjoyed the work I’ve been doing. I am glad though that I’m only staying 3 weeks instead of the 6 weeks I had originally wanted; I think I would start to go crazy soon.

(No pictures because I forgot to put them on my computer but I'll put them up next time)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah,
    My name is Alex, a spanish girl from Spain.
    This May I will probably go to Jagur Organic so it would be great if you could please contact me by email and so I could ask you some questions about your experience there.
    My email is: riau_riau@hotmail.com
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete